Re: Metacity Compositor

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 21:30 -0400, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> JP Rosevear wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 18:33 -0500, Travis Watkins wrote:
> >> Does compiz work without a 3D card? If not it's worthless as anything
> >> but a power user addon.
> >
> > Very few desktop cards don't have 3D capabilities,
>
> More than you think: OLPC, thin clients, old machines, etc. Maybe not in
> the business world that Novell and al. are targetting, but surely in the
> other world. Including that run on platform (recycled) whose card vendor
> refuse to support (think nVidia on PowerPC), etc.

Well, I'm pretty sure there aren't a lot of thin clients in people's
houses either so this is not a "novell's corporate market" thing.  Thin
clients have 3D cards as well in some cases, many old machines have them
(depending on the definition of old I suppose), although there could be
be quality of driver issues there.  Its also not clear to me the OLPC
people (and it would seem definitely not the maemo people) want to use
metacity or compiz either so its hard to tell how much consideration to
give it.

> There are plenty of reasons why 3D support should NOT be a requirement.

Probably so, but I take issue with it being simplified down to "a power
user addon" when millions of machines can use it and many non-"power
users" love the experience.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr novell com>