Re: Tomboy in Desktop

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 02:02 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> man, 24 07 2006 kl. 22:58 +0100, skrev Alan Horkan:
> > APIs get deprecated, but applications get removed entirely.
> > Sometimes the option to keep using what you were happy with really is
> > better than having to learn a new different application.
>
> I have yet to actually meet a user who used Sticky Notes, but lets say
> they exist and are plentiful, I would have expected at least one to
> chime in and make an practical argument against removing it.

Sorry, I voiced my concerns in a more general fashion.
I try not to posit myself as the user in discussions,
because somebody always comes back with the "you're
not our target user" crap.

I use Sticky Notes.  I have maybe half a dozen notes
at any given time.  They're mostly transient notes,
and most of them get deleted within a couple weeks
or so.  I mostly use them as TODO lists, although I
occasionally use them to jot down other random crap.

If I did an upgrade[1] and Sticky Notes wasn't there
anymore, I'd be pretty pissed.  That's my data.  It
was probably important.  And it's gone.  Sure, I'll
bet it's buried in a dot directory somewhere.  I'll
bet I could find it.  I'll bet my mom couldn't.

And, for what it's worth, I'm fond of the non-window
behavior of Sticky Notes, though the ability to show
only selected notes would be appreciated.  When I'm
coordinating what to do with a note, it's nice to
have a visually distinct note sort of floating on
top of things.

None of this is to say that Tomboy isn't an incredible
and innovative application (it is).  What I'm saying
is that I find Sticky Notes meets my needs for what
Sticky Notes does, and that losing data sucks hard.

[1] Yes, what's still there after an upgrade depends
entirely on how one upgrades, which is outside the
scope of Gnome.  I usually "upgrade" my distro with
a clean install.  I keep my home directory on its
own partition and wipe the rest.  OK, I'm weird.

--
Shaun