Re: What about Embedded?

Hi;

On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 00:10 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:

> > the tools we want, the Mono maintainers care about GNOME and as an added
> > bonus we get to market GNOME to all the college students who are
> > currently being trained with .NET in mind.
>
> All too true - its why we need volunteers to beef up D's offering. We do
> have GTK bindings though (http://dui.sourceforge.net/)

Those bindings, and forgive my bluntness, suck in a way that it's hard
to describe; the API is horrible (four ways to add a callback to a
"clicked" event? come on, give me a break) and the rationale for some of
their choices is risible ("uttons are there to pass on user events not
executing actions"? key bindings and composite widgets anyone?).  They
still need a lot of work just to be *half* as good as any of the other
bindings of the platform libraries.  I concede that, in time and with
enough manpower and when D will have reached a critical mass of users, D
should become a tool for developing GNOME applications.  But now it's
really too early even to plan upon it.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--