Re: What about Embedded?

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 14:46 -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Indeed, I find it ironic that in light of recent moves to expand the
> > Gnome tent to include Mobile and Embedded devices as at GUADEC this
> > year, that there is at the same time an effort to push MONO into the
> > stack.  At what price are these moves being made or considered?  Like
> > Havoc said, innovation at the cost of performance and memory usage is
> > not innovation in my book.
>
> Mono works just fine on embedded devices, and considering that it
> consumes less memory than Python when running Gtk applications and
> people do not have a problem using Python on embedded devices I do not
> see the problem.

In fact. Considering that most of ALSO the application developers in the
GNOME context are very good at *not* freeing up their memory, I actually
but truly believe that running most GNOME programs under a garbage
collector would actually save (a lot) more memory then the virtual
machine would add.

But that is of course just an assumption. Perhaps I shouldn't make such
an assumption if I want to be a nice guy :-)?

Nice guys tell you bed-time stories. They don't show you reality.

So I run valgrind a lot. And suddenly it's not just an assumption
anymore, but more or less a proven fact.

I do agree that running it with a garbage collector doesn't fix the
problem itself. Leaks must be fixed, not garbage collected. Of course.

I would, however, want to point out that I'm not trying to sneak in a
"look how bad Evolution is" here. In terms of truly leaking memory,
Evolution is not bad at all. Evolution does consume a lot memory in
known memory. Mostly in its summaries. I'm not talking about Evolution
here (I know I do a lot, so don't get confused).

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be