Re: What about Embedded?

Philip Van Hoof wrote:
On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 00:02 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 14:46 -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

Mono works just fine on embedded devices, and considering that it
consumes less memory than Python when running Gtk applications and
people do not have a problem using Python on embedded devices I do not
see the problem.
In fact. Considering that most of ALSO the application developers in the
GNOME context are very good at *not* freeing up their memory,

Oh, before you all start thinking he's doing the holier-than-thou thing
again: Remember that I said I wanted to use Mono for my future/upcoming
applications? That's because I'm equally bad at freeing up my memory.

The reality in this story is that application developers don't want to
care about this. This is why a lot of them prefer to develop using
virtual machines.

And this is why GNOME should accept and go for higher programming
languages and modern development techniques.

I totally agree but wouldn't it be better to use native languages that offer all this like the D language (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/).

No one has ever justified why we need a VM given all its disadvantages (speed - especially when mixing with native code, startup time, resource usage, bloat etc)

Also managed languages can still leak and crash and misbehave if the p/invoke is not done properly so it aint a silver bullet.

The D language offers the best of all worlds IMO *without* compromising on speed, resource usage or bloat. It would be madness to use a VM instead!

(of course its not as integrated into Gnome yet and lacks an IDE but if someone puts the work in you will have a killer platform than no VM based platform can match)

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/