Re: Mummy, I made a platform in my pants! [Was: focus!]

On 7/19/06, Alex Graveley <alex beatniksoftware com> wrote:

Respectfully, I don't agree.  There is a big set of missing frameworks
that stops rich interop in Gnome applications, and generally make
applications much harder to write well.  All other desktop platforms
include at least a subset of these...

* Document framework
Provides document loading/saving/printing/etc abstractions, window/tab
management, automatic recently used, scripting hooks, etc.

* Scripting framework
Allows apps to easily expose external scripting and event notification.
  D-BUS was the big missing piece here.  Can specify sets of interfaces
for common tasks that apps can implement, and building up the frameworks
to provide useful default implementations.

* Rich Extension/Plugin framework
Common UI for installing/removing plugins and checking for updates and
downloading, common hooks for menu/toolbar integration and UI event
integration.

* Undo framework
Almost no applications in Gnome support good Undo.  Should provide both
  reliable desktop-wide interaction for text widgets as well as at an
abstract object level.

* Rich DND/CopyPaste framework
Undocumented DND targets, poor support, and manual data parsing abound
in our applications.  Could provide structured data interop to make
doing this loads easier.

* Persistence framework
Saving and indexing application-internal data, optionally exposing to
search engines like beagle.

I'd add:

* collaboration framework (though maybe the Abi guys are pushing in
this direction in a way we can all use)

* web integration framework- we know that MS is going to make all
their apps backend to various web services in the not-too-far future,
and we know that we can make our apps much more compelling if (for
example) f-spot integrated seamlessly with web-based picture sharing,
or gourmet integrated seamlessly with web-based recipe sharing.

* search framework.

Luis