Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al

Jamie McCracken wrote:
Iain * wrote:
On 7/15/06, Chipzz <chipzz ulyssis org> wrote:

Beagle
Quite important IMO, but we have tracker as a replacement.
I'm not holding my breath for tracker really...Call it a hunch, or
female intuition or something...

Well I suggest you try it rather than dismiss it out of hand. Tracker is already integrated in both nautilus search and deskbar and provides the fastest and most memory efficient search available in both those cases.

I will be proposing Tracker for inclusion in 2.18 by which time it will include support for indexing emails, logs and others.

and just to make clear it will have an abstraction layer for indexing built in so you can use Beagle with it if you prefer. I am more than happy to do this cause Beagle does have some popular support and is well polished in certain areas.

Tracker can also be used as a stand-alone metadata database without any indexing if you dont want it (it would be used in this mode when abstracted with Beagle as stated above).

Hopefully this will keep everyone happy and let Gnome get world class search *and* metadata/tag/storage database support.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/