Re: GNOME git repositories?

On 12/27/06, Hubert Figuiere <hub figuiere net> wrote:
Thomas Thurman wrote:

> 1) Launchpad already knows about all the GNOME projects. Would it be
> possible to use Rosetta actually on Launchpad just for the translation part
> of each project? (From my limited knowledge of Launchpad, I think it
> would.)

Let's not repeat the BitKeeper fiasco.

Agreed.

> 2) Aren't they planning on freeing Rosetta eventually? Maybe suggesting
> that we would use it would push them over the edge?

November 2005, in Montreal, Mark promised to do so....

Someone should start a project named 'Harmony' to reimplement Rosetta;
that should do the trick, once it gets rolling anyway[1].  (It almost
seems to me that this might be the only way; I've been surprised at
how long Canonical has kept their projects proprietary when I thought
they said they were going to be freeing them.  Maybe I was just
misunderstanding though, and they never made such a claim?)

Cheers,
Elijah

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/209497/