Re: GNOME git repositories?

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 11:47:38PM +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Today at 23:22, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
>
> > Even better, you don't have to give a cvs/svn account to every
> > contributor.  Allowing the barrier of entry to be a lot easier.
>
> You guys seem to be engaging in the SVN vs. GIT (or any other RCS)
> again.  I thought that this discussion was over, and I am not getting
> into it now ;)

Fair enough.  I don't want to interfere with a decision since
people have taken time and effort to work on the migration.

> I am against having more than one way of accessing source code for
> GNOME source code.  It's as simple as that.  For the benefit of
> translators, documentors, artists, and heck, even developers (imagine
> this: to install GNOME, get gnome-panel using bzr, gtk+ and glib using
> git, nautilus using SVN, ...).

Well, I don't know about you, but when I build usding jhbuild I do
seem to have to know about bzr and git since X, cairo and others
depend on it so it'll probably not happen at least for a developer.

In fact if you switch to git, it's quite likely you only have to
use only two VCS's, git and bzr.  With only the mono folks having
to do git/svn/bzr  From documentation,translators and others, it'll
probably not matter if it's git or svn as long as it's the same
across all GNOME.

> I am also against GNOME SysAdmin team having to provide for different
> project hosting services.  But if they feel they can take it, then by
> all means, be my guests and lets have git.gnome.org and bzr.gnome.org :)

That's something I can understand. :-) Being a sysadmin myself,
what we can install is what we can support with the man
power you have.  So if there aren't enough sysadmins to maintain
multiple VCS then I can understand a single solution.

In any case, let's just do it.  SVN isn't a bad solution even if I
think it's anachronistic. :-)  It's a mature VCS and maybe that's
what we need.  Sometimes we just need to disagree and commit. :-)

sri