Re: Moving to *Avahi* over howl

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 15:57 +0100, Jono Bacon wrote:
> On 9/16/05, Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
> > I doubt this a good idea. Avahi's DBUS interface reflects what Avahi
> > is capable of and is in no way a generic DNS-SD API. In fact, Avahi is
> > more powerful than either Howl or the Bonjour in many
> > respects. Writing a bridge to access Howl/Bonjour via that DBUS API
> > would be exceptionally kludgy if not impossible.
>
> This is a policy decision. If an abstraction layer was used to
> abstract away any possible implementation of a technology, GNOME would
> bloat to hell.

A thin abstraction layer is not bloat especially when you are are tieing
in at lower an lower levels of the system.  What happens for instance if
windows Vista has its own zeroconf implementation, it would be better to
tie in there.  Or if gnome-keyring would rather use Apple's secret store
instead of its default.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr novell com>