Re: Moving to *Avahi* over howl

On Mon, 19.09.05 11:16, JP Rosevear (jpr novell com) wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 15:57 +0100, Jono Bacon wrote:
> > On 9/16/05, Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
> > > I doubt this a good idea. Avahi's DBUS interface reflects what Avahi
> > > is capable of and is in no way a generic DNS-SD API. In fact, Avahi is
> > > more powerful than either Howl or the Bonjour in many
> > > respects. Writing a bridge to access Howl/Bonjour via that DBUS API
> > > would be exceptionally kludgy if not impossible.
> >
> > This is a policy decision. If an abstraction layer was used to
> > abstract away any possible implementation of a technology, GNOME would
> > bloat to hell.
> A thin abstraction layer is not bloat especially when you are are tieing
> in at lower an lower levels of the system.  What happens for instance if
> windows Vista has its own zeroconf implementation, it would be better to
> tie in there.  Or if gnome-keyring would rather use Apple's secret store
> instead of its default.

I know, it's not the point, but it is very unrealistic that Microsoft
might support mDNS/DNS-SD in the future. They fight for their own
"LLMNR" ("Linklocal multicast Name resolution") stuff wich is actually
more or less the same as mDNS but incompatible and without DNS-SD and
neither as optimized nor as powerful. There is actually quite an
hostility between Apple and Microsoft on this topic apparent on the
IETF mailing list on this topic.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4;