Re: Solution suggestion [Was: gtk-engines photographed eating children]

<quote who="Andrew Johnson">

> Smooth has been maintained and for now will continue to be maintained on
> SF, it is in gtk-engines only too get it out of gnome-themes and
> gnome-themes-extras not because I want to maintain it there. I will
> continue to keep it in sync with the latest stable release + bug fixes but
> generally speaking it only complicates things. It has its own version
> which it will continue to keep, and I hope gets followed, right now it is
> at 0.6, with a quick bug fix release of 0.6.0.1 going to be released once
> I get a chance.

So why on earth are we duplicating the code in gtk-engines? You're actually
doing work to sync with code that is correctly and sensibly maintained
elsewhere. It means we have 0.6 and 2.10 versions hanging around (because it
is the version of the gtk-engines tarball release that matters, nothing
else).

It's reasonable that we have a bunch of engines primarily being maintained
in the one module, but it is not at all sensible for us to be duplicating
code and slapping new version numbers on it.

I suggest only shipping code that is primarily maintained in gtk-engines,
and leaving the other upstreams to release their code under their own terms.

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2005: Stuttgart, Germany                      http://2005.guadec.org/

    "Professor Tanenbaum did not convince AdTI that Linus Torvalds wrote
        the Linux kernel from scratch." - Ken Brown, Sponsored Moron