Solution suggestion [Was: gtk-engines photographed eating children]

<quote who="Andrew Johnson">

> Each gtk engine has its own version

> Mist is what, at 0.7? This wouldn't have changed anything from that
> perspective except maybe a patch number on the package...

So, addressing the suggestion to use the engine versions - there is no clear
documentation of individual engine versions in gtk-engines, so it's not
surprising that there are packages of crux at version 2.9.x, for instance.

Regardless of issues peculiar to distribution packaging, the aggregation of
engines that are not clearly maintained primarily in gtk-engines is cause
for some confusion. Should distros/users choose industrial from gtk-engines
(version 2.6.0) or from wherever else it's maintained and released (version
0.2.36.4)?

The problematic engines in this regard appear to be industrial and smooth,
but potentially lighthouseblue, mist and thinice - are they now maintained in
gtk-engines only?

As long as we have absolute clarity on the correct versions of particular
engines - ie. source tarball versions and per-engine versions in gtk-engines
if the maintainers choose to duplicate the engine code there - then we'll be
fine. I strongly agree with you that engines should be maintained in only
one place!

Thanks,

- Jeff

--