Re: gnome-about-me

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 09:40 +1200, John Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 14:08 -0700, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="John Williams">
> >
> > > Previously the home for this functionality has been suggested as "About
> > > GNOME", but it strikes me that the "About Me" capplet is much more likely
> > > to be seen by a large proportion of users than the "About GNOME" dialog.
> > > An argument against putting it in "About Me" is that vendors may modify
> > > "About Me" but are not likely to modify "About GNOME".
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> >
> > Your argument against it is one of the major reasons why I think the About
> > GNOME app is the only appropriate place for this sort of feature. Distros
> > are far less likely to remove it there, where it's not getting in the user's
> > way.
> It will (hopefully) not "get in the user's way" in the sense of
> interrupting or preventing them in performance of some task.
>
> However if it doesn't "get in the user's way" in the sense of "get
> noticed by the user", what use is it?
>
> How about this: we try it in "About Me" (if, of course, that meets with
> general approval) and release it.  If we then find that distros are
> removing that functionality (major distros, so it would severely bias
> our sample) then we move it to "About GNOME".  If, however, distros
> leave it alone, we have no problem.

Redhat/Fedore will not have gnome-about-me enabled, at least this is
what I understood from Matthias, and i don't know if Ubuntu will ship it
as it is currently.

Some of the issues mention are that the capplet is overcrowded and
intimidating because of the huge number of information that it is asking
for, there are also some bugs about it not fitting in a SVGA screen. To
include what you are suggesting I should have to clean the applet in
some way.

Even I we were going to include this we would have to wait until gnome
2.12, because we are already in the UI freeze.