Re: gnome-about-me

Some of you may remember there was a flurry of email a while ago about
counting GNOME users.  Most ideas discussed can be found at

http://live.gnome.org/CountingUsers

What would it take to add two checkboxes to the capplet:

"Register me as a GNOME user!"

and

"Periodically confirm I am still an active GNOME user"

with appropriate Help and Tooltip entries to explain that "registering"
would mean sending a hash of your username and IP address to
somewhere.gnome.org, and that "confirm" means to do the same every
month, year, <whatever>.

Previously the home for this functionality has been suggested as "About
GNOME", but it strikes me that the "About Me" capplet is much more
likely to be seen by a large proportion of users than the "About GNOME"
dialog.  An argument against putting it in "About Me" is that vendors
may modify "About Me" but are not likely to modify "About GNOME".

Thoughts?

If you reply to this, please cc marketing list, and consider dropping by
#marketing on irc.gnome.org

cheers,

John

--