Re: Using python + pygtk in Desktop modules (was Re: RevisitingtheGnome Bindings)

> The original question was about a package which would be included in
> most (if not all) distributions depending on pygtk, which will also be
> included in most (if not all) distributions.  There's no reason that
> such a package would be hard to install, or hard to keep working in the
> face of python version upgrades.

Although this is possible with some clever packaging, I dont' think it's
desirable. I think that a python app should depend on a specific version
of Python API, if major versions are incompatible.

Likewise, a C app might depend on the GTK+ 1.2 or 2.0 APIs, but not
"whatever is the latest GTK+". Depending simply on "latest GTK+" would
make your application break one day, and it sounds like depending on
"latest python" will do that too. It doesn't sound necessary, because you
can depend on "python 2.3" instead, and that will always be there for your
app.

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com