Re: Revisiting the Gnome Bindings

Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

Hi,

I am asking a very concrete, specific thing - here's a module I'm
maintainer of and which I feel would benefit from being written in
something more flexible than C, and I want to use python for it.

What would happen to the modules involved ?

My guess is that they wouldn't be part of Community GNOME (whatever that means in real life) but that some distributions would ship with your module instead (provided that it's better).

This is the same problem (not sure if it's even a problem) that we can see in different parts of the desktop. Distributions don't really care about what is part of GNOME or not, they will ship with whatever is best for their tasks.

Novell will develop their own platform using Mono which from what it looks like will not be addopted by other distributions (and not the community GNOME either).

In the long run I would think and hope that if you replaced a part of the GNOME desktop and it was written in Python it would eventually replace the one already in. But that won't happen after a discussion to add Python/PyGTK to the platform.

This could happen in two ways,

1) We decide as a community that Python will be part of the platform and
   that it's now OK to write software for the desktop release using
   Python.

2) People write enough good software using one language so that we see
   it worth adding that language as part of the platform.

If we go with (1) it will definitely make people write more applications using Python. If we go with (2) a lot of people will continue struggle with C while waiting for a decision. These assumptions are based on my own view and will not be true for everyone but if I wanted to make sure that my application could be part of GNOME I would write it in C and it would take considerable longer time than writing it in Python. (so in the end I would waste my hours and the application wouldn't be out as fast)...

Best Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Imendio HB, http://www.imendio.com/