Re: Using python + pygtk in Desktop modules (was Re: Revisitingthe Gnome Bindings)

Ter, 2004-09-28 às 09:27 +0200, Murray Cumming escreveu:
> > You can expect minor API changes between major
> > versions, of course.  That's why the modules dir changes between major
> > releases.  That's also why to some people it looks like python is
> > breaking the API, while it just had minor API changes but is forcing you
> > to recompile every module for the new version.
>
> That sounds like breaking both the API (which == the ABI for Python, I
> think) to me.
>
> This is a serious objection, so let's make clear what actually happens:
>
> If I develop and install my app with python 2.2, and then install python
> 2.3, might my app stop working?

  Not if you recompile all 3rd party python modules the application
depends on at the same time.  Python comes with "batteries included",
thus applications seldom need 3rd party modules.  That leaves only
pygtk / gnome-python to recompile.

  There is a trick applications can do to avoid even this issue.  You
can put #!/usr/bin/python2.2 as first line in the script.  This way,
even if you install python 2.3, you'll be fine as long as you don't
uninstall python 2.2.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.