Re: System Sounds Through GStreamer

Dnia 12-10-2004, wto o godzinie 19:20 +0800, Davyd Madeley napisał:
> > Just to make things clear -- GStreamer is orthogonal to any sound server
> > you're possibly using. GStreamer is media framework (that is, a shared
> > lib you link your app with) which takes some input and maniupulates it
> > to obtain desired output (in this case, audio data). How exactly it's
> > output then depends on system in question, GStreamer includes sinks
> > (output plugins) for ESD, as well as Alsa, OSS, OSX audio, etc. But
> > GStreamer itself is _not_ audio server, and is not going to replace any.
>
> Is there a reason you couldn't write an audio multiplexer in gstreamer
> though? Using a custom gmuxersink and gmuxersrc muxing into alsasink or
> whatever... that's how I always envisioned the future...

Of course there isn't any reason not to use GStreamer to write that
thing, it's even very well suited for that kind of task, but it'd be the
same as writing it using Mono -- that's more or less implementation
detail, however convenient, and correct statement is that "sound server
X written using Mono is replacing ESD", not "Mono is replacing ESD" --
and it still holds true after you s/Mono/GStreamer/ :). That's just what
I wanted to say in original mail, because every too often people confuse
GStreamer with soundserver / media player / $random_misconception, thus
accidentally comparing oranges to apples.

I hope everything is crystal clear now :)

Cheers,
Maciej

--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"