Re: System Sounds Through GStreamer

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 10:35 +0200, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:

> Just to make things clear -- GStreamer is orthogonal to any sound server
> you're possibly using. GStreamer is media framework (that is, a shared
> lib you link your app with) which takes some input and maniupulates it
> to obtain desired output (in this case, audio data). How exactly it's
> output then depends on system in question, GStreamer includes sinks
> (output plugins) for ESD, as well as Alsa, OSS, OSX audio, etc. But
> GStreamer itself is _not_ audio server, and is not going to replace any.

Is there a reason you couldn't write an audio multiplexer in gstreamer
though? Using a custom gmuxersink and gmuxersrc muxing into alsasink or
whatever... that's how I always envisioned the future...

--d

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA