Re: System Sounds Through GStreamer

Dnia 11-10-2004, pon o godzinie 23:14 -0500, Brad Landis napisał:
> This may have already been requested, but I searched mail archives and
> bugzilla, and found nothing.
>
> Is there a plan to make system sounds play through GStreamer?  I really
> don't like enabling sound server, and I can hear sounds without the
> sound server anyways.  I would like to be able to play sounds without
> messing with the esd server.  It's never seemed to work very well, and
> GStreamer seems to be the best way to play sounds in gnome.

Just to make things clear -- GStreamer is orthogonal to any sound server
you're possibly using. GStreamer is media framework (that is, a shared
lib you link your app with) which takes some input and maniupulates it
to obtain desired output (in this case, audio data). How exactly it's
output then depends on system in question, GStreamer includes sinks
(output plugins) for ESD, as well as Alsa, OSS, OSX audio, etc. But
GStreamer itself is _not_ audio server, and is not going to replace any.

That said, using GStreamer (and more specifically, gst-gconf
accompanying library) gives you bonus point in flexibility, since
changing default output method is as easy as setting appropriate key in
GConf. But that still doesn't invalidate need for sound server on
machines with lower-end cards.

Cheers,
Maciej

--