Re: System Sounds Through GStreamer

Le mar 12/10/2004 à 14:44, Ronald S. Bultje a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 13:20, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> > Is there a reason you couldn't write an audio multiplexer in gstreamer
> > though? Using a custom gmuxersink and gmuxersrc muxing into alsasink or
> > whatever... that's how I always envisioned the future...
>
> That element is called adder and already exists. :-). However, we're
> still not a soundserver. Neither is there any working, finished and
> stable soundserver based on GStreamer and this plugin right now. That's
> what Maciej meant, I think.
>
> It could be done, though.

I don't think using GStreamer/alsa as a backend fora soundserver would
magically solve the interprocess latencies.

I think the best solution would be a jackd backend for Polypaudio, so
applications would either use the esd, nas (=legacy) or polypaudio
protocol, or directly use the jack libs.
This way we have network transparency, low latency and legacy
compatibility.

	Xav