Re: more build sherrif-ery (and a touch of auto*)

Havoc Pennington wrote:

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 09:33 +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
While there were big differences between Automake 1.4 and 1.5 (partly due to the length of time between releases) that would warrant parallel installation, the differences between newer Automake minor series has been a lot smaller.

A number of the minor version bumps seem to have been due to increases in the minimum required autoconf version rather than a significant user visible changes.

It may need to be clarified to upstream automake guys that if two
versions are compatible, they should have the same binary name?
Maybe Daniel can answer this question.

From what I can tell, the differences between recent automake versions (1.7, 1.8, 1.9, etc) are closer to the type of differences between GTK 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, etc rather than between GTK 1.2 and 2.0. I think the executable name changes happen more out of the fact that it is linked to the package version number than deliberate decisions to break compatibility.

James.