Re: more build sherrif-ery (and a touch of auto*)

Hi ~

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 11:52 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 11:32 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 03:00, James Henstridge wrote:
> > > As for getting rid of Automake 1.4 as a requirement for building Gnome,
> > > it sounds like a good idea.  I just did a quick check of my build trees,
> > > and the list of modules in the gnome desktop that still use 1.4 are:
> > >
> > > bug-buddy, eel, eog, ggv, gnome-control-center, gnome-mag,
> > > gnome-netstatus, gnome-system-tools, gnome-terminal, gtkhtml2,
> > > libart_lgpl, libcroco, libgail-gnome, libgtop, metacity, nautilus,
> > > nautilus-cd-burner, procman, startup-notification, vino
> >
> > 	Thanks for the list - gnome-netstatus, vino and startup-notification is
> > done now.
>
> If the common decision is 'port to 1.7 now', we could always re-break
> gnome-common and use tinderbox to track the broken modules.

We've got Daniel Reed [1], extreme auto-foo samurai, who would be able
to bring up most modules to the latest auto-tools versions pretty
quickly.  He would like to port the modules to 1.9 (current) if people
don't have any disagreements with that.  It seems reasonable to me to go
for the latest current release if we're going to be putting time into
this at all, but what the hell do I know about auto-tools. :-)

So if there are not complaints about the version bump I'd suggest the
maintainers duck and cover for a flurry of incoming patches.

~ Bryan

[1] http://shell.n.ml.org/n/