Re: more build sherrif-ery (and a touch of auto*)
- From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
- To: James Henstridge <james jamesh id au>
- Cc: Mark McLoughlin <markmc redhat com>, Jordi Mallach <jordi sindominio net>, GNOME Desktop Devel <desktop-devel-list gnome org>, louie novell com
- Subject: Re: more build sherrif-ery (and a touch of auto*)
- Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:01:28 -0500
On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 23:28 +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> If a package works with multiple automake versions, it is best to pick
> the newest release, since the older versions contain known bugs (based
> on the contents of the NEWS file).
Packages should never "symlink" to unknown future/possible-incompatible
releases. That's like having a function that does something undefined,
or calling parse_some_unknown_format() on a file of known format.
Packages should only use names (e.g. the automake-1.x names) that have
an interface contract.
] [Thread Prev