How we make decisions... [Fwd: Re: Proposal: replacing esound with polypaudio in 2.10]

I've been watching this thread "Proposal: replacing esound with
polypaudio ] and I've grown annoyed by how we as a project make
decisions.

Consider this particular thread.  As usual, there is a bunch of noise,
mumblings, hand waving, some minor objections and then the thread
fizzles out.

By the end of the thread, the author of this particular piece of
technology has:

* No idea what he really needs to get this accepted by the GNOME
  community. Sure  he's been asked to fix a couple of things.  Some
  minor complaints about not working on non-FPU systems but really no
  appreciable list.  If we're serious, lets create a bugzilla component
  for him and get at least some branching and testing going.  Getting
  rid of Esound is great goal for 2.10 or the next release after and at
  least one distro is using it.

* No one has decided what the future requirements are for  a replacement
  sound server so if someone else wants to replace it they have
  something they can compare against..  What is the minimum requirements
  to get rid of Esound?

* He has nobody to particularly talk to get this particular piece of
  technology in that would represent his interest and get things moving.
  He's on his own.

I could feel that he was getting frustrated and irritated dealing with
this community.

I didn't see any major objections to this sound server.  He's got most
of the right pieces in.  We can't just sit around looking for the
perfect solution.  Most of this stuff is all going to evolutionary
anyways.  It might take a release or two to get rid of all of Esound and
work out the bugs in the new system but as long as their is a
person/maintainer who is willing to work through all the issues I think
this decision should have been a no brainer.  Sometimes, you need to
take a risk.  In this particular one if it doesn't work out, you can
always revert back to Esound.

Why do we not have a solid process to making decisions especially when
it comes to adding modules? Who are the decision makers?  Do we need a
voting system among major component owners?  We seriously need a
component marshaller person for any particular realm (eg sound) that we
can trust to at least get a particular component to first base.

sri
--- Begin Message ---
On Fri, 05.11.04 03:12, Chipzz (chipzz ULYSSIS Org) wrote:

> > > In floating point they are *useless* on many platforms. You are talking
> > > 500 times slower than integer or worse if they are trapping to emulation
> > > of FPU units.
> >
> > I see the point Alan is trying to make, but is this relevant for Gnome
> > adoption?  I mean, on what machines is Gnome (especially 2.10)
> > actually usable which are not equipped with a FPU?
>
> Just an uneducated guess, but do all PDA's have a (good) FPU?

But what's your point? Do you run Gnome on your PDA?

Lennart

--
name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }