Re: Proposal: replacing esound with polypaudio in 2.10

On Maw, 2004-11-02 at 20:40, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> I see the point Alan is trying to make, but is this relevant for Gnome
> adoption?  I mean, on what machines is Gnome (especially 2.10)
> actually usable which are not equipped with a FPU?
>
> (Honest, I don't know, not trying to pick anybody up.  I just had the
> impression that Gnome mostly ran on machines where FPU is a standard,
> but I never actually put any thought into it.)

Gnome displays on integer only machines quite well. Its pretty lousy
running on such a machine. However your sound daemon runs on the viewing
box which may well be a geode (crap FPU), VIA eden (crap FPU), old 486
(crap/no fpu) and the like, especially for the many educational sites
that run LTSP.

So yes some basic integer rate adaption as an option is appropriate, and
simply extracting the existing esd one and adding it to the selection
will do nicely.

(I assume the audio library tests the performance of the different
algorithms to pick one ?)