Re: Proposing gwget for Gnome 2.10

Dnia 02-11-2004, wto o godzinie 11:43 +0000, Andrew Sobala napisał:
> > Download manager is useful for more complicated scenarios and "power
> > user" ones. That is, when you're downloading things like set of .iso
> > files.
> > Downloads like that are large, should be resumable across sessions if
> > needed, possible to perform using multipart connections, support
> > fetching multipart from >1 URL simultanously, and have ability to add
> > new URLs / parts on the fly, not only at the beginning of download.
>
> Why do you need all that? (I'm not being facetious, I really want to
> know.)

If you need download manager, as opposed to piece of code that simply
downloads ;), it's usually because you're performing mass download or
something similar (think movies, music or .iso files of new distro
release). Sites often have strict rules about allowed connections, and
you also need to somehow balance the load across the day, if you need to
be able to work during day, but then you know at night bandwidth is free
to use for anyone interested for example

> What do multiple connections give you?

As Iain said, ability to better use available bandwidth. Many
connectivity solutions have characteristics that make it beneficial to
use multiple connections, since single link won't go above, say, 10KB/s,
but you can get total of 50KB/s in 5 parts. That also happens when you
have available >1 mirrors, each of relatively low speed.

Cheers,
Maciej

--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"