Re: Proposal: replacing esound with polypaudio in 2.10

On Llu, 2004-11-01 at 22:55, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> It involes only a change in the core and not in the plugins of
> polypaudio to make it to use a non-fp mixing routine. Currenlty,
> polypaudio mixes in fp only simply due to the fact
> libresample is fp-only as well. But yes, eventually I will add a
> shortcut for using an integer mixer in case only streams that do not
> require resampling are involved. However, I consider this not a
> high-priority issue.

A lot of non-x86 boxes have very poor or no FP. Low power x86 boxes like
the VIA also lack the horsepower for FPU based resamplers. Really you
want stuff like 3Dnow/SSE floating point FFT routines, integer handlers
and the like.

It would however be "no worse" than esd if you simply took esd's
'resampler' for the integer option for now.