Re: Lock'n'load! [Was: Integrating system tools in GNOME]

> > Given that keyboard changes are one every three years, it's safe to
> > assume that the system should have a system-wide keyboard setting.
> > Which modifies XF86Config.  So multi head machines can work correctly.
>
> There is nothing saying that only one keyboard is attached to a system,
> though.

Exactly my point in the last paragraph.  Different displays use
different XF86Configs.

>   Different users may be using different keyboards on a dual head
> machine or a terminal server.

Which use separate XF86Configs again.

>   There's also the issue of when a user
> wants to use multiple languages that need different characters;
> switching the keyboard character set/layout on the fly may be the only
> way to do that properly.

Which is a good reason for the existence of keyboard switching apps.
For switching the keyboard layout, I mean.  You should have no problems
with moving to Unicode for charsets.

--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
	GPG key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net