Lock'n'load! [Was: Integrating system tools in GNOME]

<quote who="Alberto Ruiz">

> We have a very supported and complete stack of apps. for the system
> managing with gnome system tools, and I think that still saying that it
> can't be included in the GNOME Desktop for stetical reasons is wrong.

When you say 'stetical', do you mean 'aesthetic'? Because that's not really
the reason why g-s-t hasn't been shipped to date. Recent releases are VERY
sexy -- GNOME-style!

The issues so far have been:

  * Lack of distro buy-in - why commit to something in the Desktop release
    that few of our downstreams will ship? I don't think this argument is
    going to be taken seriously during the 2.8 process.

  * Lack of integration design - we can't just dump a bunch of icons in the
    System Tools menu, we have to figure out how to approach user and system
    preferences properly in future (so vendors can use the same scheme with
    their own tools if they have to as well).

I think the second point is easily solved for 2.8, we just need to put our
heads together and figure it out. The first one is tougher, but with the
community distros shipping it, and knowing that g-s-t will be *the* desktop
integrated solution, I reckon we should start APPLYING PRESSURE.

LOCK'N'LOAD, it's SYSTEM TOOLS TIME!

- Jeff

   "The Vines are the latest pretenders to the thrown." - Vines review by
                                liv4now.com