Re: Preferences, System Tools

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:51:45AM -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 11:36, Jody Goldberg wrote:
>
> > >       * Which printer and printer options such as paper
> > >         (may additionally have presence in print dialogs)
> > Yes and no.  I see this in more of an 'Your environment' type
> > setting rather than hardware.
>
> There is the act of configuring the locally attached printer for classic
> tools like lpr and such.  That will be important for years to come.
> Misconfiguration here could also potentially (a.k.a. theoretically)
> cause severe problems.

I'd considered this but rejected that limited interpretation.
Printer config seems like two distinct operations
    - selecting a printer
    - configuring a printer setup
neither of which seems specific to the physically connected
printers.  A printer on a docking station is not always available.
Remote printers sometimes need updated descriptive files, filters,
and drivers.  It seems like all the printing goo should be together.

> > > "What to use?"
> > Do we want a tool to configure mime handlers or just assume it is
> > part of nautilus ?
>
> Web browsers are also a huge "consumer" of MIME handlers.

Good point, additionally I'd bet this list will expand in time as
interfaces clarify.

> > >       * Web browser
> > good.  distinct http vs https vs ftp handlers seem ugly in the ui.
>
> FTP is often a very different use case than HTTP.  It's true that in
> many cases FTP is just used to anonymously grab a file just like HTTP,
> but in many cases users want to do rile file management on FTP.  Don't
> know if that's really that important (you could just explicitly ask to
> use Nautilus on servers you need to log into and do file management),
> but it's something to think about.

Hmm, but do we really need to differentiate at the ui level here ?
If a user really needs something beyond what is supported by a
broweser then it seems like they should manually run a client.  The
same holds true for the existence of 'gopher' in the current ui.
Why bother ?

> > >       * CD player
> > >       * DVD player
> > >       * CD burner
> > - Distinct cd and dvd players ?
>
> Classic music vs movie player argument.  ;-)
>
>  "Audio Disc (CD):  [Audio Disc Player]"
>  "Video Disc (DVD): [Totem Video Player]"

Good, that makes more sense to me.  A straight
    - audio player
    - video player
    - cd/dvd creation
Seems more functional to me.   The original layout obscured things
by handling audio DVDs and SVCDs in a way that seemed backwards to
me.