Re: Lock'n'load! [Was: Integrating system tools in GNOME]

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 15:42, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> El vie, 04-06-2004 a las 11:37, Jody Goldberg escribió:
>
> > Things can get very murky, I doubt we'll ever have a crystal clear
> > delineator.  Look at something like the keyboard layout.   That is
> > currently a user preference which is mostly correct, but the vast
> > majority of users to date have been tweaking that at the system
> > level in the XF86Config.
>
> I always tweak that in XF86Config.  It is definitely not a user
> preference, although there are bandaid solutions which help the user
> change keyboard layout.
>
> Given that keyboard changes are one every three years, it's safe to
> assume that the system should have a system-wide keyboard setting.
> Which modifies XF86Config.  So multi head machines can work correctly.

There is nothing saying that only one keyboard is attached to a system,
though.  Different users may be using different keyboards on a dual head
machine or a terminal server.  There's also the issue of when a user
wants to use multiple languages that need different characters;
switching the keyboard character set/layout on the fly may be the only
way to do that properly.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.