Re: Translations, GNOME and KDE

On Mi, 2004-01-07 at 10:08 +0100, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:50:51AM +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > >  C) Property description stirngs, as used in a GUI builder.
> > >
> > > What I'd really like to do separate out C) from the others so we
> > > had two different domains and .po files for GTK+. That would make the
> > > main GTK+ .po file much, much smaller and easier to translate.
> > We'd need to separate the property descriptions file-wise (different
> > domains, different POTFILES). Do you really like to have
> > gtkwidgetproperty.c/.h containing gtk_widget_class_property_init which
> > is called by gtk_widget_class_init? In addition, translators don't like
> > multi-domain packages, they often get confused and don't look at po-
> > whatever.
> The domains could be separated only for translators and then
> (msgcat)'ed together when building the .mo files.

This is not an argument at all, but an implementation detail. Domains
and files HAVE to be split up anyway and therefore all my converns apply
- except if you know how to extract only a particular gettextized string
from a source file.
So we could remove all files in po, create po-base and po-property and
add a README.translators to po/ describing po-base and po-property.
All of this is GTK+ 2.5 stuff, though.
Just a sidenote: For gdesklets-extra (CVS module), I split up the po
file instead of cating/merging a few together. It works flawlessly.

regs,
 Chris