Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 16:42 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 11:26 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Ok to try and solidify this here is a proposal for how we move ahead
> > which avoids the concerns about gconf and magic symlinks but uses the
> > environment. At the same time it allows us to change the rules later.
>
> There are some problems with environment variables though.

Well, I would solve all these in the following way:

GNOME never sets the env variable at all, nor is there GUI for it. If
unset, they default to the hardcoded directory. If you set them somehow,
then GNOME will attempt to use your override dir. If nobody uses the
feature, it will probably bitrot and not work, but if someone seriously
cares they will be able to go through and find the issues and file/fix
bugs.

Havoc