Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 11:11 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 07:08:59PM +0100, jamie wrote:
> > > does it all much much faster with much less resource overhead than any
> > > "big" RDBMS I know of, embedded or not.
> >
> > Faster? Using variants for types I doubt that very much. It might
> > outperform Postgres but I would be very surprised if it beat firebird.
>
> sqllite is typeless.  Everything is text from what I remember.  So
> the type system is very simple.

which imposes some problems, since you have to know in advance the real
type of each column, so that you can convert the data internally from
string to the given types.

SQLite is a good solution though for simple data storage, since it
allows apps to do SQL queries on the data. That might be useful for a
lot of apps. Also, since it uses a simple file, that file can be in the
user's home directory, so thus easily copied to other machines with no
problem (compared to using a RDBMS which would probably have all DB
files in system-wide locations).

cheers