Re: Request for GNOME2.8 inclusion: Cantus 3

> As far as I know, it does not yet, but will as soon as gstreamer does.
> So it will probably go into GNOME2.8.

GStreamer 0.8 already support tag writing. Rhythmbox is supposed to have
code to handle tag writing. But that doesn't work yet afaik. I guess
there's a bit of bugfixing to do both in GStreamer and Rhythmbox to get
it to work properly. Here is what Colin said in Rhythmbox 0.7.2 release
notes:
« I'd like to take this space to explain what's going on with tag
editing.  The situation is that almost all the work for this inside
Rhythmbox is already finished.  What needs to be done now is for the
underlying media library like GStreamer or Xine to support it.
GStreamer's actually getting pretty close, and you may even see it in
the GStreamer 0.8.0 series. »

> Secondly, I doubt that Rhythmbox adds mass tagging capabilities. This
> would probably "bloat" the whole application.

I don't know what you mean exactly by "mass tagging", but I definitely
think Rhythmbox should be able to modify the tags for several songs
(something similar to what iTunes does when you edit the information
after having selected several songs).

As a side note, I don't feel Cantus would fit nicely as a GNOME core
app, it wouldn't be useful to a large number of people, especially if
Rhythmbox is part of GNOME 2.8 and can be used for basic tag editing.
And last time I tried it, it wasn't the kind of lightweight and easy to
use app I expect to find in GNOME. I'm not the one making the decision
anyway, and I think it's far too early for 2.8 module proposal, I guess
there will be plenty of time to discuss the advantages and drawbacks of
having Cantus in GNOME a bit later in the release process.

Christophe