Re: Re: Request for GNOME2.8 inclusion: Cantus 3

Kjartan said:

A couple of general things we'd like to see before any apps are proposed
for inclusion in the desktop are:

- contact the documentation project and review any documentation that
the app has - if it has none I think that should be a priority before
even proposing the app

- contact the translation project and get a review of the app's state
wrt internationalization - any app proposed should be fully
internationalized and use intltool for .desktop, .schemas etc

- do a ui-review of the app and check strings to see if the language
used is in line with the terminology guidelines

- check the app for compliance with the HIG

These are all general tasks that I personally think should be part of
the preparation to propose apps for inclusion in the desktop (and libs
into the platform as well I guess)
I'd like to add:

- Consult "GNOME Accessibility for Developers" and check the application against the checklist;
- confirm that the application offers full keyboard navigation
- make sure that Atk implementations are available for all custom widgets
- check the application with "at-poke" and assess the functionality of its accessibility implementation
- consult with the accessibility team on any additional issues

An increasing amount of the accessibility engineering effort is going into regression control and accessibility of new components, and we cannot continue to improve accessibility without the assistance of component and application developers. Like internationalization, accessibility needs to be a shared responsibility; in fact accessibility support probably needs to be considered even earlier in the application development cycle than internationalization for most apps.

best regards

Bill