Re: Request for GNOME2.8 inclusion: Cantus 3

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 13:15, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> > Secondly, I doubt that Rhythmbox adds mass tagging capabilities. This
> > would probably "bloat" the whole application.
>
> I don't know what you mean exactly by "mass tagging", but I definitely
> think Rhythmbox should be able to modify the tags for several songs
> (something similar to what iTunes does when you edit the information
> after having selected several songs).

Actually, by mass tagging I mean to modify tags of not only some files
from the same Artist. (e.g. Filter saying that all files matching
patterns like "Artist - 01 - Song" should be tagged properly.)

> As a side note, I don't feel Cantus would fit nicely as a GNOME core
> app, it wouldn't be useful to a large number of people

Here I do of course disagree. There are many mp3/ogg listeners out
there, aren't they? ;)

> , especially if
> Rhythmbox is part of GNOME 2.8 and can be used for basic tag editing.

This is fine for users having their files organized in Rhythmbox, but I
think Rhythmbox is basicly for users having a really large Audio
collection. Thus, there are far more XMMS (and other) users out there.

Plus, as I already mentioned, Cantus is capable of tagging no-audio tags
also.

> And last time I tried it, it wasn't the kind of lightweight and easy to
> use app I expect to find in GNOME.

I agree for earlier versions, but it has been completely redesigned from
scratch recently. I am aware of some usability issues, which is one of
the things I am currently about to fix.

>  I'm not the one making the decision
> anyway, and I think it's far too early for 2.8 module proposal, I guess
> there will be plenty of time to discuss the advantages and drawbacks of
> having Cantus in GNOME a bit later in the release process.

Of course I do not want to push it, anyway, the preparations should
start as early as possible, so I am glad to hear some opinions already.

-Samuel