Re: Request for GNOME2.8 inclusion: Cantus 3

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 01:17, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
> søn, 04.04.2004 kl. 21.41 +0200, skrev Samuel:
>
> A couple of general things we'd like to see before any apps are proposed
> for inclusion in the desktop are:
>
> - contact the documentation project and review any documentation that
> the app has - if it has none I think that should be a priority before
> even proposing the app

I will have the documentation checked with them.

> - contact the translation project and get a review of the app's state
> wrt internationalization

Will do.

> - do a ui-review of the app and check strings to see if the language
> used is in line with the terminology guidelines

Yes. Since I am not a native english speaker I will have that checked
with the I18N list.

> - check the app for compliance with the HIG

I agree; that is already on the TODO list.

> > Planned features for the final 3.0 release are:
> >
> > * GTK2-based
> > * Full Plugin support
> > * ID3V1, ID3V2 (mp3/flac) and OGG (Vorbis) support
>
> Are we really comfortable with patented stuff in the core desktop? Can
> these be separated out or do they just appear if the user installs the
> proper plugins for gstreamer?

Cantus does /not/ include any mp3 en-/decoder, which I know may raise
patent issues. But I am not aware of any patents on ID3 or OGG tags. Am
I wrong?
That said, all tags are implemented as plugins; it is easy to remove
them (but there is currently no installer switch to do that).

> > More features can of course be added by using plugins.
> > The programming language is C++, using gtkmm/libglademm as GUI toolkit
> > library.
> >
> Is gtkmm/libglademm ok to use for apps included in the core desktop?

That is a question I think I can not answer. Who is responsible to make
these decisions in the GNOME project?

Thanks for your comments; I will try to make all the necessary
adaptions.

-Samuel