Re: vcard-integration for gnome

Am 22.11.2003 23:48 schrieb(en) Fred Smith:
Well, it seems that some other group at gnome.org has been working on
this type of functionality too, or at least has identified it as
something that gnome needs.

http://www.gnome.org/bounties/Addressbook.php3

In fact, it seems that someone could make a tidy sum of money for a
single, centralized gnome address book system that integrated with
evolution, gaim, gnome-meeting, MrProject, and gnome-vfs.

First, that issue certainly was no smart invention by me, but a rather obvious need for gnome. Well, I don't really like the approach of that contest, they prescribe lots of implementation details, especially they act like evo-2.0 already contains the official gnome-addressbook, and then, focusing on gaim for IM... The bad thing about this is that it's obviously quite official, and by offering money, you eliminate alternative ideas/approaches. :(

Perhaps we can take some cues from the KDE people, but in the reverse
direction.  They integrated KMail, Kalendar, and all the other
components into a single PIM application.  Couldn't the various
Evolution components be placed inside a (bonobo? wombat? i'm not sure
which component does what) wrapper that turned them into separate
applications?

I think KDE did the right thing. They have a lib for accessing the data, and many apps use it. The "kde-pim"-package is just a collection of these apps+lib, as they do it for alle the other blocks, kde-edu, kde-games and so on. Not sure though.

Darko Obradovic