Re: vcard-integration for gnome

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 14:53, Darko Obradovic wrote:
> So, as potential user of the functionality, any comments to the points
> I made? :)

Well, it seems that some other group at gnome.org has been working on
this type of functionality too, or at least has identified it as
something that gnome needs.

http://www.gnome.org/bounties/Addressbook.php3

In fact, it seems that someone could make a tidy sum of money for a
single, centralized gnome address book system that integrated with
evolution, gaim, gnome-meeting, MrProject, and gnome-vfs.

Personally, this type of a system, as well as a centralized calendar and
bookmarks database, is something I'd *love* to see in gnome. I'd also
like to see something lighter than evolution used to manage the various
databases.  The data formats that evolution already uses on the backend
are standard;  ical for the calendar, vcards for the contacts database,
etc.

Perhaps we can take some cues from the KDE people, but in the reverse
direction.  They integrated KMail, Kalendar, and all the other
components into a single PIM application.  Couldn't the various
Evolution components be placed inside a (bonobo? wombat? i'm not sure
which component does what) wrapper that turned them into separate
applications?

-Fred
--
Fred Smith <fps dividedsky net>