Re: No Flags "Policy"

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 00:36, iain wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 23:56, Danilo Segan wrote:
> > , yet that corresponds to
> > country code of "UK" (United Kingdom -- is UK the only country with
> > another code [GB] also "reserved"?).
>
> Because the neither the UK, nor GB are countries, and they're not the
> same.
> GB (Great Britain) is the collective term for England, Scotland and
> Wales.
> The United Kingdom however is a collective term for England, Scotland,
> Wales and Northern Ireland.
>
> So, in reality, neither UK or GB should be used, if we're discussing
> countries.

I think you're wrong. The United Kingdom is an official country, with a
capital city (London) and a money (the Pound), and is composed of 4
"provinces": England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Great
Britain, however, is only a geographical entity: the big island next to
Ireland. In the same way, the Republic of Ireland is a country, with a
capital city (Dublin) and a money (the Euro), and is composed of
Munster, Leinster, Connacht and a part of Ulster, while Ireland is a
geographical entity: the little island next to Great Britain.

England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are NOT countries.

--
Julien Olivier <julo altern org>