Re: No Flags "Policy"

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 09:05:33PM +0000 or thereabouts, Sergey V. Oudaltsov wrote:
> I feel like I have to say something. Actually, it was me who raised all
> this stream of bad questions etc.

:)

You have been waiting long enough to get your app into Gnome. You
must already have known that we will cheerfully take any subject
and get far, far afield with it :)

> BTW, about political charge. Even if we remove flags - there are layout
> names. They are somewhat charged as well.  For example, British layout
> can be identified as GB or UK. And so on and so forth. Does this mean we
> should use only full names? Or just abstract images (flowers, bees,
> birds)?

I couldn't catch you on IRC when you asked me about this. Sorry
about that, but tea had arrived :)

It should be UK. UK includes GB within it. GB doesn't include
all of UK. Additionally, the keyboard layout (which is, after
all, what we're talking about) is specifically called UK.
Apparently IBM came up with a lot of these keyboard layouts
originally, and they called the keyboard layout in question UK,
and it has been that ever since.

Telsa