Re: No Flags "Policy"

iain <iain prettypeople org> writes:

> > > Because it means that GNOME will not be used in some parts of the world,
> > > regardless of what the United Nations says [1].
> >
> > I know you won't agree with me (and you might even be right), but I
> > wouldn't mind if GNOME wasn't used in such countries.
>
> Lets ship the French flag...then the US won't touch it, unless we rename
> it the "Freedom Flag"
>
> I'm on the don't ship any flags option, but how do other distros OSes do
> it? I know OSX comes with flags, so does KDE. Don't think windows does
> though, so how do they get by cultural implications?

Windows ships country localized versions.  So you buy Windows for
France, Windows for China.  Microsoft has even had problems with this in
the past.  They once shipped a version of Encarta with references to
Taiwan as the ROC to China, and had to pull them all.  Additionally, the
timezone map of the Indian version of Win 95 once had Kashmir listed as
part of Pakistan.

Red Hat pulls all the KDE flags, Mandrake removes the Taiwanese flag.
It's a bit of a pain.

Thanks,
-Jonathan