Re: No Flags "Policy"

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 15:35, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hey,
>
> So, I get first dibs on this can of worms.
>
> I strongly believe that we should not ship any national flags in GNOME. It
> will be a huge source of problems. Everyone's seen what happened when Red
> Hat shipped the Taiwanese flag (problems in China) and then removed it (and
> it's easy to understand why Taiwanese users complained). Let's not make the
> same mistakes upstream, and cause problems for all of our distributors.
>
> The easy solution to these problems (because there are a lot of them) is to
> simply not ship flags at all. This is not controversial or offensive. It is
> not reactionary. It is a simple solution to a problem we can't control.
>
> Thanks,

I don't really understand the problem. the United Nations are there to
define which flags are official and which are not. GNOME should ship the
flags recognized by the United Nations. And if anyone complains, ask
them to complain to the United Nations.

Why isn't that a viable solution ?

--
Julien Olivier <julo altern org>