Re: About Panels - aka lynching time

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> Le mer 05/11/2003 à 19:07, Erick Woods a écrit :
> > A consistant "Launch" button in GNOME with a changable
> > icon would be most excellent.  A power user could remove it or hide the
> > text, but most others will not.
>
> Frankly, I hate that. It turns GNOME into a bad copy of Windows.
> Do you really think MacOS X is unusable because it has no "Start" menu ?

Hate it?  Remove it from _your_ desktop.  It's not a bad copy of anything.
It's a good, consistant starting point for users.  MacOS doesn't have a
start button, it has it's Apple menu - same thing.

What does GNOME have?  Well, on this distro there is X and on this one there
is Y and there really isn't anything on this other distro.  That is nasty
for support and for usage.

> Why not let distros add a "Launch" text if they want ?

Why not have it in the upstream src and let the distro or users remove it if
they want?  Advise distros through the HIG or something that removing it or
drastically changing it is not a good idea.  Let them change the icon to
their logo.  Provide consistant text, such as "Launch", so that translators
don't have to fight with it.  Makes more sense.

Erick Woods
erick gnomepro com
http://www.gnomepro.com/