Re: About Panels - aka lynching time

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 14:01, Erick Woods wrote:
> > Distributors could then change the icon to a logo and leave the text
alone.
> > That gives support a target that isn't going to change, at least within
> > language.
>
> That seems like a fairly smart solution, basically do it the way Sun has
> it set up, but with changing logo.

Yes, and the default GNOME stuff could just use the foot icon.

> The other option of course is to all move to the menu panel as in
> XD2/upstream.

I don't think the menu panel is a great solution.  Not everyone likes or
uses it.

The real target is consistancy for users, support staff and across
distributions.  If anything, a set of guidelines could be developed that
suggest distributors provide a panel with the "start" button on it.  I think
the menu panel, at this point, could be something done in addition to a
basic panel, but not be relied upon as the only panel.  It would also be
beneficial to recommend that the text of the button NOT be changed or hidden
by distributors.  I think it should be a user pref to turn the text off.  I
would do it on my panels, but it would be good to know that most of the
users I support aren't likely to do that.

More spare change from me.  :-)

Erick Woods
erick gnomepro com
http://www.gnomepro.com/