Re: Panel's GConf usage

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 15:11, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Yeah, the problems with string lists I know of are:
>
>  - there is a race when you get/change/set in order to add something
>    to the list, where you can lose changes
>
>  - it's a large block of data being sent out with every change
>    notification
>
> Probably neither one matters in practice, though you can imagine them
> mattering if you have a network backend that might be slower and/or
> updated by both users and admins at the same time.

Yeah, and anyways, it's still a pretty ugly hack.  ;-)  I don't think
these problems really affects Evolution in its current form, but we are
not really that happy with this.

What we really want, I think, (and I don't know if it's been discussed
before somewhere) is some way to define "structs" of data with default
values, and define an entry in the database as a list of those structs.
And of course, there should be an API to modify the structs.

Also, elements in the list should get an automatic ID so you can update
them without manipulating the list directly -- and that should help take
care of the race condition problem.

Actually, this sounds like it wouldn't be too difficult to build on top
of GConf, doesn't it?

--
Ettore Perazzoli <ettore ximian com>