Re: Login-out proposed features

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 03:22:39 +0100
Chris Chabot <chabotc xs4all nl> wrote:

> I would have to agree that these visual dress-ups do add a lot for the
>
> user experiance.. If you forinstance look at XP's login procedure you
> will find that a lot of the loading is done in the background while
> you are being entertained with changing graphics. As long as
> 'something is happening' and it draws your attention, a few seconds is
> hardly noticable; However being confronted with just a few second wait
> without drawing your attention, it seems like a awefully long time. I
> gues water really does not cook while your watching it ;-)
>
> A simple fullscreen graphic with a small animation and a non technical
> statement like 'starting up' or 'logging in user', would go a long way
> to hide load times where aplicable.

Such an implementation would also hide those ? signs on the splashscreen
while gnome is started. It's not very nice and I can remember
discussions on how to prevent that.
It'd be very nice if a sane solution can be found:
1. Hiding the panel/nautilus while the startup process.
2. Trying to fix the "splash screen"

Greetings,
Christian